Discussion: Children and Bullying
In recent years, bullying has become a hot-button issue, garnering attention not only in academia but also in the media and in pop culture. In this Discussion, you will consider the implications of this increased focus on bullying, as well as examine strategies for responding to bullying. Reflect on the following:
- Do you think increased media attention on bullying is warranted? Do you think it is helpful? Why or why not?
- In your view, what are the best ways for professionals who work with school-age children to address bullying (e.g., zero tolerance policies, anti-bullying contracts, role play, lessons, etc.)? Identify and explain at least two.
- Are there any anti-bullying strategies that you learned about this week with which you don’t agree? Why?
With these thoughts in mind, follow the instructions below to post your response to this Discussion topic.
Post a description of your thoughts on the degree to which you think media attention on bullying among children is warranted and/or helpful. Then, explain how you think professionals who work with school-age children should respond to bullying, including at least two specific strategies. In addition, identify at least one strategy you do not think would be effective, explaining why. Be sure to cite the Learning Resources to support your thinking.
Assignment 1: Content Review
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and 2–3 paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question into the document, so your Instructor can see which questions you are answering.
- In your own words, explain what bullying is and what forms it takes, including relational aggression. Then explain what research indicates about the relationship between children’s gender and their involvement with bullying and relational aggression.
- Identify and describe at least three possible causes of bullying among school-age children. Then describe three measures that professionals and/or parents can take to prevent bullying.
- Identify and describe at least three possible effects of bullying on children.
Assignment 2: Linking Trends and Issues Through Research, Part 2
In this assignment, you will begin to explore these links and their implications for professionals who work with school-age children. To begin this assignment, choose one specific trend or issue relating to children’s health. It can be one that you studied in this course (i.e., obesity, autism, ADHD), or it can be another children’s health trend or issue of interest to you. Using the Walden Library, Internet, and/or print resources, locate a recent article or research study that draws a connection between your chosen health trend/issue and the family or peer relationships of children. (Note: You may want to look ahead to next week’s Learning Resources for ideas regarding peer relations.)
After you have chosen the article, write a 3- to 4-page summary and analysis of the article that includes responses to the following questions:
- What specific connection(s) does the article draw between your chosen health trend/issue and a trend/issue related to children’s family or peer relationships? Provide a brief summary.
- Do these findings surprise you? Do they confirm what you already suspected? Explain.
- What are the implications of these findings for practice in schools, homes, youth programs, etc.? Identify and describe at least two specific implications including at least one for professionals who work with school-age children in a setting of your choice.
- Do you think further research is needed? If so, why, and what kind? If not, why not?
Looking for help with your homework?
Grab a 30% Discount and Get your paper done!
Place an Order