Read Chapter 6’s section 7 on Vegetarian Diets as well as “The Debate” (section 6.6) onThe Highs and Lows of High-Protein Diets as well as “Off the Label: Is it Safe for you?”
In addition, check out the links I listed in the activities for Chapter 6 in the Things to Do under Articles of Interest. You may find your own articles as well. The vegetarian lifestyle continues to increase in popularity in the U.S. partially because people perceive it to be healthier than a diet containing meat.
- Is it necessarily true that a vegan diet is “healthier” than a meat/fish/poultry (non-vegan) diet? Support your points with valid information from the Internet from scientific, peer-reviewed journals.
- Are there any nutritional risks vegetarians should be aware of?
- Share a story about someone (if you know) who follows a vegetarian lifestyle. How did they decide to become a vegetarian? Do they think their food choices are healthier than if they ate meat?
- What are your thoughts about strict vegetarianism (veganism) after reading this chapter (remember, “strict” or vegan referring to only plant sources: veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, grains and legumes)?
- Is there anything which you would be personally wary of following a vegan diet? Why? Use reliable Internet sources which back up your thinking or perhaps which changed your mind!
- Responses and comments need to be substantive and expand on your classmates point of view and/or information discussed.