Read the problems below, and record your answers in a Word document. Be sure to show your work!
- Questions 1 and 2: You must prepare 400mL of a solution that requires a 1:8 concentration of drug. Sterile water is the diluent you should use.
How much drug do you need for this medication?
How much diluent do you need?
- Question 3: If V2 = 200mL, C1=80%, and C2=50%; what is V1?
Calculate the volume.
- Question 4: A solution of ibuprofen contains 150g in 800mL.
What is the percent strength of this solution?
- Question 5: The hospital pharmacy receives an order for morphine sulfate ¼ gr IM stat. The concentration on hand is 10mg per mL.
How many mL is needed for the dose?
- Question 6: A 1L bag of Normal Saline must infuse over 6 hours using tubing calibrated to deliver 20gtts/mL.
How many drops per minute should be infused?
- Question 7: A 1L solution containing 25,000 units of heparin must run at 30mL/hr.
How much heparin is administered per hour?
- Questions 8-10: A physician orders penicillin 525,000 units q4h for a child who weighs 55 lbs. The recommended dosage is 100,000 – 250,000 units/kg/day in six divided doses. The pharmacy stocks the 200,000 units/mL concentration.
What is the child’s weight in kg?
What is the safe daily dosage range for this child?
Is the ordered dose safe?