Activity for assessment:
Property ownership is considered to be one of the pinnacles of one’s life. For this assignment, we are going to look at property ownership through a several different lenses: individual home/land ownership, the greater “good” within localities, potential city progress, as well as the overall health of the state economy. Read the following articles and watch the video within the first article as well. I am also including some pros and cons underneath the links. After you have read, watched, and conducted any other research you felt necessary, answer the following questions:
- Economic viability of the state depends on cities expanding
- Residents of ETJ work/enjoy benefits of the city–they should pay taxes
- When a city encroaches on nearby areas, events such as fires, loose dogs affect the city.
- They should be able to control these issues.
- Businesses in the ETJ typically pay less in taxes than those in the city.
- Levels playing field.Being annexed can help with water, waste disposal, etc. that could be problem in rural areas.
- Business interests should not be the state’s priority.
- Rural farmland should not be gobbled up by nearby cities.
- Residents outside the city choose this life. They should not be forced to be city residents against their will.
- Being annexed will increase taxes. They should have a say in this.
- Residents of the ETJ may have allegiances to their area and may not be good citizens on the city.
- Being annexed changes how people can use their land.
- Zoning issues many ensue.
- It may be a long time before the city provides services, but will be paying taxes. Is this fair?
- Should a city be able to annex an adjacent area without the consent of the residents in that area?
- What power should the local governments have with regards to annexation with and without consent?
- Should the state government take steps to protect the rights of home/landowners from this? Why or why not?
- How does potential future development impact this issue? Should this, like the issue in the video, be such a roadblock for landowners?
- Lastly, which do you consider more compelling: the pros or the cons? Why?
This assignment must follow MLA guidelines, be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and be a minimum of 1000 words with a works cited page. The works cited are not included in the minimum word count. Any sources provided in the assignment prompt MUST be used within your paper and cited in your works cited. Other sources used must be cited as well.
Number of pages: 3 pages/double spaced (825 words)
Number of source/references: 2