COMM — Winter 2020 Race, Nation, and Violence in Multicultural California FINAL PAPER / PROJECT PROPOSAL
Submit a proposal that addresses each of the below requirements. You can use bullet points. Also, I understand that your proposed course readings and/or concepts may change as we get towards the end of the quarter and you have completed more readings. This <a href=”https://www.homeworkgain.com/downloads/business-48/”>proposal</a> is just a start.
● Object of Inquiry → What media representation of race, nation, and violence in
California are you going to examine (e.g., a<a href=”https://www.homeworkgain.com/downloads/film-13/”> film</a>, news segment, social media thread, advertisement, textbook, image, artwork, etc.)?
○ And through which lens: (1) romanticizing of pastoral California, (2) California as pristine wilderness, (3) California as land of opportunity and innovation, (4) California as a site of conflict and/or resistance, or (5) another lens with approval
● Thesis statement → What argument are you making about your object?
● Evidence → What will you use to support your argument?
○ Specifically, what elements of the object will you discuss?
○ And what three course readings and/or concepts can you utilize in this discussion?
● So What? → Why is this subject matter important to study?
Choose one of the three below prompts:
Ibram X. Kendi, in his book Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America (2016), describes a “popular folktale of racism” that claims that ignorant and hateful people produce racist ideas and that these racist people then institute racist policies (p. 9). Arguing that this causal relationship is actually ahistorical, Kendi instead claims that racist ideas do not endure and evolve by a cycle of “ignorance/hate → racist ideas → discrimination” but through an inverse relationship of “racial discrimination → racist ideas → ignorance/hate” (p. 9). As such, racist ideas endure and evolve due to ever changing discriminatory policies based on self-interests (p. 9). Think of an example of a media product about California that either (re)produces or contests this “popular folktale of racism.” Use three course concepts to make your argument.
Jill Lepore, in her book This America: The Case for the Nation (2019), claims that, “Nation-states, when they form, imagine a past” (p. 18) because “Nations, to make sense of themselves, need some kind of agreed-upon past” (pp. 19-20). Think of an example of a media product about California that mobilizes racialized rhetoric in ways that help to (re)imagine an “agreed-upon past” about the state of California and/or the nation. Use three course concepts to make a distinct point about the ‘cultural work’ of this media product.
Bruce B. Lawrence and Aisha Karim in their edited anthology On Violence: A Reader (2007), claim that we must address the following questions when theorizing violence:
● Why focus on violence? Are people inherently violent, and if so, are they more violent now than in prior periods?
● Where does violence come from? Does it come from individuals, groups, social structures, or some blind fate?
● What counts as violence? Can it be separated from technology or science, or does the very technology of communications replicate violence even while seeming to merely announce it?
● Who gets to speak about violence, whether in the academy, the media or in different parts of the globe? How do victim, perpetrator, agency, accountability, and victimization change, and why? Is violence private as well as public? Think of an example of a media product about California that can help us think through ONE of these critical questions about violence (i.e. Why, Where, What, Who). Refer to threecourse concepts in your analysis.
<a href=”https://www.homeworkgain.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2020/05/sample-classmate-paper.docx”>sample classmate paper</a>
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
At homeworkcheg.com, You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with at HomeworkCheg, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more