Think back over the last couple of weeks. We all read various materials on a daily basis: Think about road signs, receipts, cereal boxes, texts, social media posts, product descriptions, magazines, letters, emails, books, etc. What piece of reading had the most impact on you recently, whether it was positive or negative?
In one substantial paragraph, describe the piece of reading content you chose above and its content. Then, in another substantial paragraph, analyze the piece: What made it so important or engaging to you? Why did it matter to you? Did you fully understand it? Were you able to apply it in your life, and if so, how?
Submit your paragraph as part 1 of the submission for this week below.
Take this Reading Comprehension Quiz: https://spscc.instructure.com/courses/1345787/quizzes/2404742
Review the questions you got wrong. For each one you missed, attempt to choose the correct answer and try to determine what contributed to your mistakes.
STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE READING
Read these tips for reading efficiently and effectively at the college level:
1. Find a quiet space, silence your phone, and concentrate.
2. Consider the context. Why has this reading been assigned, and/or what will you use it for? This information will help target your reading so you can find what’s important.
3. Convert the title and subtitles into questions. For example, “Buster’s Day at the Farm” becomes “What did Buster do at the farm and what was important about that?” This framework often works pretty well: What is (insert the topic) and what is important about it? The title and subtitles provide “signposts” to guide the reader to what’s important, and this technique will allow you to take advantage of that.
4. Find the topic and the main idea. What is the text generally about, and what does the author have to say about the topic? The main idea is usually about one sentence long. It is often stated in a thesis statement that can be found at the beginning and end of the piece. If you understand the main idea, you will be better able to understand the importance of all the other information and prioritize what to focus on.
5. Skim first. Think of skim milk. Skimming off the fat is a way of getting rid of what you don’t need. Skimming when you read also refers to moving your eyes quickly across the pages without setting. The purpose of skimming is to understand the overall structure and type of piece you are reading. There may be whole sections that are unimportant to my purpose for reading and might be skipped altogether. Be careful, though—you wouldn’t want to skim off something you actually need! After skimming, go back and read more carefully, focusing on essential passages.
6. Target what’s important by varying your reading speed. Watch Improving Reading Comprehension (link: https://www.lynda.com/Higher-Education-tutorials/Improving-your-reading-comprehension-through-speed-variability/372920/426619-4.html?org=stratford.edu)
7. Take notes. After each paragraph, write down brief answers to these questions: What was the point of that paragraph and what was its purpose in the overall piece? What information is helpful to my purpose for reading this piece?
8. Explain the information to someone else, focusing on what’s most important. The best way to solidify information in your mind is to articulate it to others.
Pull out at least three pieces of information from the above resources that you found helpful and can apply to your reading process moving forward. For each piece of information, explain what you find useful about it and how you plan to apply it, in complete sentences (1-3 sentences per tip).
Submit your list and explication of the tips as part 2 of your submission for this week below.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.