HUS 2421 Lesson 10 **Book Course readings**
Required text: Stevens, P. & Smith, R.L. (2013). Substance abuse
counseling: Theory and Practice (5th ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
Chapter 11 explores some of the populations which are typically encountered during a counselor’s substance abuse career. It has become ever more important that the needs of special populations be addressed through the treatment process in order to maximize treatment outcomes. This chapter is designed to enhance your understanding of these groups.
* Discuss the treatment issues faced when treating women
* Discuss the treatment issues faced when treating gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered persons
* Discuss the treatment issues faced when treating people with disabilities
* Discuss the treatment issues faced when treating children and adolescents
* Discuss the treatment issues faced when treating the elderly, and lastly, people battling homelessness.
Lesson 10 Discussion Question
Please follow all the instructions for this assignment.
Choose 1 of the 2 options below for your discussion board assignment.
IMPORTANT PLEASE: In the subject line, type either: “Risk Factors of Special Populations” or “Women being Underrepresented in Substance Abuse Treatment”
Respond and give feedback to 2 of your classmates.
1. Chapter 11 describes several select special populations.
Please pick one of these special populations and discuss the risk factors, and treatment options for this population.
2. Why do you think women are underrepresented in substance abuse treatment?
Discuss several factors to support your hypothesis.